Tom Harrison said in his book “Savage Civilization” (1937), “You cannot hate with kava in you.” Kava supplement for anxiety and relaxation is a rage in the world of pharmaceutical and herbal products. Besides having religious, political, cultural, and social significance in the cultures of Pacific Islands, it has been used in traditional medicine for centuries for the central nervous system, as well as for peripheral effects.
Both the bark and the roots of this plant, in grounded form, can be consumed as a food or dietary supplement. It is also known to cause relaxation for the mind and lead to sound sleep. In fact, these effects have led to a very interesting name for the kava: it’s also known as the intoxicating pepper! Because of its multiple benefits in treating stress, PMS, muscle pain, etc., Kava has now become a popular health supplement, used and consumed worldwide!
7 Best Kava Supplements & Reviews
1. Premium Instant Kava Juice by DrinkRoot
The Connoisseur Blend of Premium Instant Kava Juice by Drink Root is a non-micronized variant. It is made from dehydrated Noble kava roots of premium quality and is an organic Vanuatu Kava Tea blend with no chemical.
The ratio of Kavain to Dihydroxymethysticin Kavalactone is 1.75:1, making 2 g of this dehydrated juice equivalent to 1-2 ounces of micronized dried kava. This kava drink has proven to be great for the treatment of symptoms commonly associated with General Anxiety Disorder and insomnia.
It is non-micronised kava supplement, which is why it can be brewed into a relaxing drink quite quickly, for a natural way to relax and enjoy better sleep. It comes straight from the farm and contains no pesticide, GMO, or any other harsh chemicals. And, in case you are unhappy with the product, you can cash in on the money-back policy by contacting Hana Naturals directly for a refund.
Remember that it is a fairly strong product, it can produce a numbing sensation in the mouth, and can also leave you feeling slightly hungover. It comes with a heavily earthy flavor with a slight spiciness. This may strike as quite a different taste from the usual flavor of kava, especially for the regular users of kava.
- No lengthy brewing process involved.
- Helps to release anxiety and induces euphoria.
- Improves quality of sleep
- Organic and chemical-free.
- Easy money-back policy.
- Can cause headiness, and numbness in the tongue.
- Strong taste.
- Not evaluated by the FDA.
2. Polynesian Gold by Root of Happiness
Roots of Happiness takes pride in bringing the world’s finest Kava extract to the customers. It is formed by Supercritical CO2 extraction process, without heat or solvents, and has 70% standardized Kavalactone extract. The Polynesian Gold is a product from the house of experts in the Kava industry.
This kava supplement is extracted from premium quality Noble 245 Chemotype roots, matching the Borogu and Melo Melo varieties of Vanuatu. The finest roots are first hand-picked, and then thoroughly washed and hand-peeled, before they’re air-dried indoors. The entire procedure is performed using state-of-the-art facilities.
The process of air-drying preserves the Kavalactones. The Kavalactone content in this supplement is similar to how it occurs naturally in plants, i.e. in a pure, raw, and unaltered form. The taste of this supplement has a mustard-like pungency. This may be a little strong for some users.
The storage and carrying of the product need to be done carefully. The product comes in a small package that’s easy to travel with. However, the downside of this packaging is that a lot of product is packed into a small container. As a result, there might be spillage, if you’re not careful, and it can become sticky.
- High level of Kavalactone content in natural form.
- Made from hand-picked roots of premium Noble kava.
- ISO 9001 Certified for Quality Management and Halal Certified.
- Contains high levels of Kavalactones.
- Comes in a small portable package.
- Not advisable if you have liver problems.
- Excessive intake can cause drowsiness.
- Strong and pungent mustard-like taste.
- Not evaluated by the FDA.
3. Kava Premium Ultra-fine Powder by Better Living Products
Better Living takes pride in producing kava root powder that is 100% natural, with no extract at all, neither from the roots nor from any other part from the upper section of the plant. This means that the product has the highest amount of natural kavalactones. Only the best stock of roots from South Pacific’s finest kava goes into this product.
Thus, it gives excellent results as a natural relaxant. Besides, it is gaining popularity fast because of its ability to induce sleep. What’s more, this supplement contains ultra-fine root powder; it mixes easily with the base liquid to give the perfect brew, and you will not need to strain it.
It is an excellent product to relax and de-stress in a natural way. It promotes restful sleep when consumed before bedtime. This kava product has an earthy taste which may be a little strong, even for those who have been consuming kava for a long time.
Because of the presence of high levels of natural kavalactones in this supplement, it is extremely potent. However, it is to be remembered that this is not a drug and cannot be used for treating or preventing medical conditions.
- Made from best-quality lateral roots, with no upper part.
- Contains extremely high levels of natural kavalactones.
- Comes in a plastic jar which has a tamper-proof lid.
- An organic product with no preservatives.
- Not evaluated by the FDA.
- Strong earthy flavor.
- Can cause hangover if not consumed in moderation.
4. Kava Root Instant Extract by Herbal Island
Kava Root Instant Extract is the most popular among the kava supplements by Herbal Island. This German E Commission-approved product is made from kava grown in Fiji, and is ten times more effective than regular root powder. It’s a quick fix for the evening or before the bedtime, to help get rid of anxious feelings and help you sleep.
As a 10:1 instant extract, it is heavily potent. The 10:1 ratio means that every pound of extracted powder is derived from 10 pounds of raw kava roots. When taken in moderate amounts, this product has proven to be a safe drink that can get you relaxed, without any documented side effects. It is to be remembered that this is not a drug, and can be consumed as herbal tea.
Making this product is hassle-free with no need for straining or long brewing process. It is a potent kava supplement, which calms nerves for an overall soothing effect on your mind, leaving you feeling content. And, in the process, it also improves your mental alertness and the ability to focus.
- Relaxes the muscles.
- Calms nerves and leaves you content.
- Improves concentration and mental agility.
- Considered safe for consumption by the German E Commission.
- Easy to make.
- It is not evaluated by the FDA.
- It might mix with other medicines.
- Can cause slight numbness in some body parts.
5. Premium Micronized Instant Kava Powder by Supplements for Work
To melt away the worries of your stressful day and concentrate on what is important, a small dose of Premium Micronized Instant Kava Powder by Supplements for Work is an excellent nootropic product. It induces productivity by taking away the attention from stressful thoughts and helping to focus better, though it cannot be used as a medicine.
Make a drink instantly and enjoy it while socializing with friends and family, or take it before bedtime in a larger dose to enjoy a restful sleep. It is a fine-quality supplement that is easy to turn into a drink instantly, without the hassle of straining. It is available in re-sealable packs of 20 g, 40 g, and 60 g. Thus, the storage of the product will not be a messy affair, at all.
As it is made of Heady Hawaiian Kava, it causes the least tiring effect on the body or mind. Hence, you can consume this in the daytime, and feel all your unnecessary stress melting away, while you concentrate on the important things. This quality also makes it a great product for those who have been recently introduced to kava.
- Best suited for daytime use.
- Easy to make.
- It is one of the easiest tasting kava supplements
- Perfect for first-time consumers.
- Comes in temperature-controlled pouches that are easy to handle and store.
- It is not evaluated by the FDA.
- Can harm the liver if taken in large amounts.
6. Kava Concentrate by Root of Happiness
Root of Happiness’ Kava Concentrate is one of the favorites among kava users. It offers the same result as a premium Noble kava drinking supplement. This dietary supplement can help in releasing tension quite efficiently and leave you with an overall relaxed feeling in the mind and body. It is even known to help with muscle straining, indigestion, etc.
This concentrated paste is made using Polynesian Gold brand CO2 extraction, from premium-quality Borogu Kava. The CO2 extraction process uses a mix of high and low temperatures to produce highly potent Kavalactone oil. It is particularly effective when consumed sublingually, i.e. when you place the paste beneath the tongue.
Every serving of 2 g contains 150 mg of full-spectrum Kavalactones. It is a powerful health supplement that helps reduce stress and promotes an overall relaxing effect on your mind, though cannot be used for treating medical conditions. This product is effective in providing relief for muscle pain, high blood pressure, insomnia, indigestion, etc.
There’s a slight grassiness in the taste, which can seem slightly potent for new users with a powerful nose. However, the Lemon Honey flavor covers the grassy aftertaste quite well. It tastes like delicious lemon candy.
- Powerful supplement for relaxing the mind.
- Effective in relieving physical problems like pain.
- Delicious Lemon Honey.
- High level of Kavalactones.
- Tastes a little grassy.
- Can cause slight numbness in the mouth.
- Not evaluated by the FDA
7. Noble Tongan Kava by Pure Kava
This kava herbal supplement from the house of Pure Kava is Tongan Kava, with a medium grind. Lab tests prove that this kava contains 4.557% Kavalactones. It is made from the best quality plants grown in the Kingdom of Tonga which are then farmed on the Vava’u and ‘Eua islands.
This variant of medium kava is noted for providing relaxing effects while leaving you brimming with energy. It is considered as a quick fix for anxiety and depression, It also helps with body aches and induces sleep. It is also packaged in perfect quantity to give you a hassle-free drink without having to worry about measurements.
It offers a safer alternative to alcohol by providing relief when you are anxious, depressed, or stressed, and provides a relaxed feeling. By helping to release tension, it helps to increase concentration and energy levels. It is a natural alternative to drugs that cure symptoms of anxiety disorders. While the earthy taste is fairly strong, its flavor is still milder than most supplements.
- Certified organic Noble Kava.
- Helps to release body aches.
- An excellent natural alternative to drugs and alcohol.
- Taste is milder than most kava variants.
- Not yet evaluated by the FDA.
- May cause numbness of the mouth and throat.
- The flavor may be a little strong for new users of Kava.
Before you decide to buy yourself some kava supplement, it’s a good idea to know more about the product so that you can make an informed decision.
Benefits of Kava
Now the reason Kava has become so hugely popular is because of the health benefits of consuming it.
- Primarily, kava is used for reducing stress and anxiety. Scientific trials and researches have shown its small but significant effects on reducing symptoms of anxiety disorder.
- Because of its anxiolytic effects, i.e. reducing anxiety, Kava can induce sleep. As a result, it is used as an alternative treatment by people with sleep disorders.
- Cell-based studies have shown that kava can decrease breast cancer cell size and cause cell death because of Flavokawain A, B, and a flavokawain derivative in it.
- Kavalactones in kava can prevent brain damage caused by oxidative stress in Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease.
- A dose of kava extract of 300 mg can help achieve better attention and visual processing, as well as working memory tasks.
- Research shows that consuming a specific kava extract, i.e. daily for 8 weeks can ease hot flashes and anxiety in menopausal women.
Side Effects of Kava
Kava, in small amounts, has proven to be helpful. But in large amounts, and when taken for a long time, it has been observed to lead to several side effects.
- Since Kava is a relaxant to cure anxiety and stress, overdose can lead to headache, dizziness, fatigue. Its ability to change brain functions can also lead to depression.
- Long-term and heavy intake can cause kava dermopathy or kani kani, a reversible skin condition characterized by dry, scaly, skin on palms, soles, and back.
- Remember that it is primarily the roots of kava which holds all the goodness of the plant. However, many brands use stems and leaves, instead, to save money, which can harm the liver.
- Consuming alcohol while you’re taking kava can lead to the interaction of the two, and can increase your chances of liver damage.
- Kava taken for a long time and in high doses can also cause other problems like yellow skin, heart problems, eye problems, diarrhea, stomach pain, loss of appetite, etc.
Since the exact effects of kava supplements are not completely known, experts advise limiting the consumption of kava to small amounts only.
- They recommend that the daily intake of kavalactones shouldn’t exceed 250 mg to avoid. It is also suggested that you stop using it after 3 months.
- Most extracts of kava root contain 30–70% kavalactones, and an overindulgent consumption of kava can lead to potential hepatotoxicity, i.e. liver damage.
- Kava and kava-containing products are not recommended for use in children or in patients with hepatic disease.
You must also remember not to take alcohol while you are taking kava.
So, now that you have a fair idea about kava supplements, remember to consult your doctor before you decide to invest in it. This will help to ensure that it doesn’t interact with other medications you might be on, or trigger your health conditions, if any. Make sure to check that the product you’re about to consume is, in fact, kava root supplement, because kava derived from other parts of the plant may damage your liver in the long run.
Also, make sure to read the labels of the product to know and understand the kavalactone content in each dose of consumption as an anxiolytic and sedative-hypnotic drug. Kavalactone in kava leads to psychotropic effects, i.e. change brain function and result in altered mood, behavior, or cognition.