Collagen is the vital building block that makes up the foundation of connective tissues found in our bodies. It is also one of the most abundant vital proteins found in our skin tissue, bones, tendons, cartilage, gut, blood vessels and other important areas – making up 35% of our entire bodies protein content.
As we age, the levels of naturally occurring collagen proteins in the body start to deplete. Our abundant healthy collagen stores that help in supporting strong nails, skin elasticity, joints, hair and bones start to reduce. This causes skin cells to age, and for our all-round appearance, hair and nails to become more brittle.
Thankfully, supporting a balanced diet with the best collagen supplements is a great way of topping up collagen proteins and supporting natural collagen production in your body.
Best Collagen Supplements Guide 2020
Here at BigBlueTest.org we compare and review all of the best collagen supplements online so that you can find the collagen dietary supplements that are right for you.
Not only do we show you the best collagen supplements to support healthy levels of collagen production, but we also show you the best collagen powders and supplements for supporting specific areas like; healthy skin, joints, hair, and weight loss.
How Do Collagen Supplements Work?
When we consume collagen via dietary supplements and food, collagen is broken down into amino acids that help to repair our bodies.
That means if you are concerned about a specific area of your body, for example your skin elasticity or hair and nails, then consuming collagen can target those areas naturally. However, selecting the type of collagen supplement that you take, can make a big impact.
Collagen supplements come in a host of different forms:
- Collagen Powder
- Collagen Gummies
- Collagen Pills
- Collagen Tonics
It’s these types of collagen that are best to consume as a dietary supplement, because they are hydrolyzed into collagen peptides faster than they would be if you consumed collagen in your food naturally. That’s because part of the digestion process has already occurred through the production of the collagen supplement.
Studies have also shown that marine collagen (marine collagen powder) is one of the most easily absorbed forms of collagen found in dietary supplements, thanks to its low molecular weight.
With that said, all of the different types of hydrolyzed collagen forms on our list will improve the levels of amino acids in your body. Providing you with tonnes of health benefits associated with collagen supplementation.
What Do The Best Collagen Supplements Include?
When we compare and review the best collagen supplements online we aim to find you supplements that have the fastest impact on boosting collagen peptides and amino acids in your body.
- Sustainability – these days, it’s important that supplement companies act in an ethical way. The best collagen powders are non-GMO and sourced from grass-fed animals and sustainably sourced fish
- 100% Natural – supplements should be 100% natural and free from artificial colors, flavorings, and any unnatural fillers
- Best Ingredients – we aim to find dietary supplements with short, high quality ingredient lists so that you know exactly what you’re consuming
- Diverse Amino Acids – collagen naturally contains 19 different amino acids, so we aim to find collagen dietary supplements that include this diverse mix of amino acids
- Amazing Reviews – it’s vital that the collagen products we recommend come with tonnes of happy customer reviews. We want to show you the best collagen supplements online, and that means happy customers
Now that we have given you a brief overview of what we’re looking for, here is our list of the top 10 collagen supplements online. For more information, check out our detailed collagen guide and top 10 list below.
Top 10 Collagen Supplements:
- Vital Proteins Collagen Powder
- Live Well Collagen Peptides
- NeoCell Super Collagen Powder
- Orgain Keto Collagen Protein Powder
- Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein Powder
- Great Lakes Gelatin, Collagen Hydrolysate
- Codeage Multi Collagen Peptide Powder
- Bulletproof Collagen Protein Powder
- Garden Of Life Vegan Collagen Builder
- Vital Vitamins Multi Collagen Pills
Top 10 Collagen Supplements
So let’s get started. Here is our list of the top 10 collagen supplement online. Each of the collagen supplements if a great all-rounder that will help you increase the levels of naturally occurring collagen peptides in your body.
1. Vital Proteins Collagen Powder
Top of our best collagen supplements list is the Vital Proteins Collagen Powder. Vital Proteins Collagen Powder is sourced from grass-fed, pasture-raised bovine (bovine collagen) to ensure endless sustainability and adequate amount of high quality collagen.
Vital Proteins Collagen Powder includes a unique blend of collagen, vitamin C, and hyaluronic acid that work together to produce healthy skin, hair, nails, joints, ligaments and tendons.
The great thing about Vital Proteins Collagen Powder is that it is soluble in hot and cold liquids. This means that it can be added to any hot or cold drink to give you your daily intake of collagen. Whether that is your morning cup of coffee, or post-workout smoothie.
Vital Proteins Collagen Powder is Non-GMO, paleo friendly, and Whole30 approved. It is also gluten free, dairy free and contains no additives, flavors or colorings. In fact, it is flavorless/odorless, ensuring that it blends into any of your preferred hot or cold drinks.
This collagen supplement is a brilliant all-round dietary supplement that will ensure that you always get your required daily intake of collagen.
- Healthy bones and joints
- Improved skin elasticity and skin hydration
- Hair and nail support
- 20g of Collagen (from grass-fed bovine hide) per serving
- 2 scoops per day
2. Live Well Collagen Peptides
Next on our list of the best collagen supplements is Live Well’s Collagen Peptides. Live Well Collagen Peptides is another brilliant all-round collagen supplement that will ensure that you intake all of the 19 different amino acids naturally produced in your body.
Live Well Collagen Peptides supports strong hair, bones, joints, and skin elasticity, alongside gut health and immune function. Like Vital Proteins, the collagen peptides are sourced from grass-fed, pasture-raised bovine (bovine collagen). Making the dietary supplement dairy free, gluten free, and without hormones, soy, or any other harmful preservatives.
The Live Well Collagen Peptides powder contains 11g of collagen per serving and can be taken alone, or within any hot or cold drink. Live Well Collagen Peptides also contains 10g of protein per scoop, ensuring that you benefit from increased protein intake every day.
- Specifically aims to help gut health and boost immunity
- Supports strong hair, bones and joints
- Improves skin elasticity and skin hydration
- 11g of Collagen (from grass-fed bovine hide) per serving
- 1 scoops per day
3. NeoCell Super Collagen Powder
NeoCell Super Collagen Powder is another top collagen supplement that can be taken to improve the appearance of youthful skin, healthy hair and nails. The collagen supplement includes a combination of type 1 and 3 hydrolyzed collagen peptides important in producing the building block of healthy skin, hair and nails.
NeoCell Super Collagen Powder can be dissolved into any hot or cold drinks, and is both gluten free and paleo friendly. Alongside improving the appearance of healthy skin, hair and nails, NeoCell Super Collagen Powder also supports healthy bones and joints.
Available in both an unflavored supplement, and berry lemon this is one of the tastiest collagen powders on the market.
- Improves the appearance of youthful looking skin
- Supports healthy bones and joints
- Improves the appearance of healthy hair and nails
- 6.6g of Collagen (from grass-fed bovine hide) per serving
- 1 scoops per day
4. Orgain Keto Collagen Protein Powder
Fans of the keto diet will love this collagen protein powder. Containing MCT Oil, Orgain Collagen Protein Powder provides an ideal ratio of 2:1 protein to fat with 10 grams of grass fed pasture raised collagen peptides hydrolysate in every scoop.
On top of this, each scoop contains 5 grams of MCT Oil per serving, which increases energy levels, promotes weight loss, and reduces lactate build up in the body. An ideal combination for anyone looking to supercharge their morning cup of coffee.
The great thing about Orgain Collagen Protein Powder is that it combines the benefits of keto and collagen into one easy to consume powder. Not only increasing collagen levels in the body, but general ketone levels that support energy levels of daily activities.
The Orgain collagen protein powder is available in unflavored, and chocolate formats, as well as in stick packs. It is paleo and keto friendly, zero net carbs, dairy free, lactose free, gluten free, soy free, no sugar added.
- Keto-friendly ratio of protein to fat
- Support healthy bones and joints
- Supports strong hair and nails
- Supports radiant, youthful skin health
- 10g of grass fed pasture raised collagen peptides hydrolysate
- 5g of MCT oil
- 1 scoop per day
5. Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein Powder
If you are looking for a great all-rounder, then the Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein Powder is a superb option. Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Powder contains all five of the hydrolyzed collagen types I, II, III, V, X. As such, promising to provide a wide range of health benefits, such as promoting healthy skin, nails, hair, joints, bones and more.
The Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Powder is free from growth hormones, and derived from Midwest US chicken eggs, South American pasture-raised cows, and shellfish-free fish – all sustainably harvested in North America.
We’d recommend this collagen supplement for non-veggies, who are looking for a great all-rounder that contains all of the hydrolyzed collagen types.
- Healthy nails, hair, and skin health
- Promotes a strong immune system
- Supports healthy bones and joints
- 10.2g of Multi Collagen Complex
- 1 scoop per day
6. Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate
Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate is a straightforward and simple collagen supplement that provides 12g of Collagen Hydrolysate per serving.
Collagen Hydrolysate is naturally found in the body and is a vital compound in supporting joint health, and plays an important part in post-workout recovery. What’s more, Collagen Hydrolysate supports healthy and youthful looking skin, hair and nails.
Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate is another great vitamin to add to your diet as it is easy to consume by dropping the powder into any cold or hot drinks. The collagen supplement is grass-fed & pasture-raised, keto certified, paleo-friendly, gluten free, Kosher, non-GMO.
- Aids post-workout recovery
- Supports joint health and strong bones
- Promoted youthful looking skin
- 12g of Collagen Hydrolysate per day
- 2 scoops per day
7. Codeage Multi Collagen Peptide Powder
Codeage Multi Collagen Peptide Powder is an all-in-one peptide powder containing bone broth. Like other top collagen powders on our list, the Codeage Multi Collagen Peptide Powder contains all five of the hydrolyzed collagen types I, II, III, V and X. It is made up of a high-quality blend of high-quality blend of grass-fed beef, chicken, wild caught fish, and eggshell collagens, and also includes 18 amino acids.
For anyone looking for a high dose of collagen with limited calories, the Codeage Multi Collagen Peptide Powder is a great option. There are only 43 calories per serving, and the supplement contains zero carbohydrates.
Like other leading collagen supplements, Codeage Multi Collagen Peptide Powder can be added to any shakes, cold drinks, hot drinks or smoothies, and is a perfect supplement for supporting healthy hair, skin, nails, joints and gut health.
- Supports healthy hair, skin and nails
- Contains protein to support strong muscles
- Improves gut health
- 9g of Multi Collagen Complex
- 1 scoop per day
8. Bulletproof Collagen Protein Powder
Next on our best collagen supplements list is the Bulletproof Collagen Protein Powder. Unlike other top collagen powders on our list, the Bulletproof powder is also packed full of protein and can be used as a post-workout supplement as well as a collagen supplement.
In one scoop of Bulletproof Collagen Protein Powder there is 18g of protein, combined with 20g of collagen to really increase your daily collagen levels. The supplement can be taken on its own or mixed into drinks or foods as you wish as it is odorless and flavorless.
Adding Bulletproof Collagen Protein Powder to your diet is a great way to support glowing, hydrated skin (thanks to the inclusion of bone broth) and to promote anti-aging. It really is a great all-rounder.
Bulletproof Collagen Protein Powder is also keto friendly, non-GMO and void of artificial flavors and colors.
- Promotes anti-aging
- Supports glowing, hydrated skin
- Contains 18g of protein to support muscle recovery
- 20g of collagen per serving
- 18g of protein per serving
- 1 scoop per day
9. Garden Of Life Vegan Collagen Builder
Garden of Life Vegan Collagen Builder is a great option for vegans, looking for a healthy, sustainable collagen supplement.
This all-in-one, 100% organic collagen supplement contains plant sourced high polyphenolic pomegranate, whole food biotin, turmeric, and a range of other superfoods. This unique blend is designed to produce beautiful, radiant skin, as well as healthy teeth, bones and joints.
What’s more, the high polyphenolic pomegranate promotes natural UV protection in the skin, as well as increasing natural levels of keratin and elastin.
Garden of Life Vegan Collagen Builder is taken in tablet format and is USDA Certified, non-GMO, gluten free, vegan certified, kosher made (Star K), and 100% organic.
- Promotes radiant skin, and provides natural UV protection
- Supports healthy teeth, bones and joints
- Superfood blend has wide range of health benefits
- 10g of Silica (organic bamboo extract)
- 7.1g of organic food blend
- 1.9g of organic beauty blend
- 2 tablets per day
10. Vital Vitamins Multi Collagen Pills
Last but not least on our best collagen powders and supplements list is Vital Vitamins Multi Collagen Plus. Vital Vitamins Multi Collagen Plus contains a potent blend of hydrolyzed collagen peptides from grass-fed Beef, chicken bone broth, and eggshell membrane. The unique blend is carefully crafted to include types I, II, III, V and X collagen all in one small capsule.
Vital Vitamins Multi Collagen Plus contains all of the same health benefits found in other powerful all-in-one supplements, supporting strong hair, bones, skin and teeth. However, the inclusion of marine collagen protein also has strong anti-aging qualities. Marine collagen protein stimulates the body to effectively renew tissues, ensuring that you maintain a health, youthful complexion.
Each Vital Vitamins Multi Collagen Plus capsule is enhanced with Digeseb to enhance the collagen absorption rate, as well as being easy to consume, and carry around for convenience.
Vital Vitamins Multi Collagen Plus are gluten free, yeast free, wheat free, as well as being free of any hormones or additives.
- Anti-aging qualities promoted through inclusion of marine collagen protein
- Supports strong bones, joints, nails and hair
- Easily absorbed with enhanced Digiseb
- 1.6g of Multi Collagen Complex
- 3 capsules per day
Best Collagen Supplement By Category
Now that we have covered our top 10 best collagen supplements, let’s dive in and evaluate which are the best collagen supplements to support your specific needs.
Best Collagen Supplement For Skin
Live Well’s Collagen Peptides
Live Well’s Collagen Peptides include hydrolyzed collagen types 1 and 3 which are particularly important for promoting youthful, healthy looking skin.
Type 1 collagen has anti-aging properties that help to reduce fine lines, improve skin elasticity, and strengthen and support muscles. Type 3 collagen focuses on improving skin and muscle structure, as well as promoting the proper flow of blood through blood vessels and the organs.
Live Well’s Collagen Peptides also contain 19 different amino acids that are vital to supporting health-looking skin.
Best Collagen Supplement For Joints
Codeage Multi Collagen Peptide Powder
Codeage Multi Collagen Peptide Powder is a brilliant collagen supplement for supporting healthy joints and bone health. Not only does Codeage Multi Collagen Peptide Powder contain all five hydrolyzed collagen types I, II, III, V and X, but it also includes 18 vital amino acids.
Containing a mix of grass-fed beef, chicken, wild caught fish, and eggshell membrane collagen, Codeage Multi Collagen Peptide Powder keeps bones and joints strong and healthy. It also aids in recovery, containing proteins to aid in muscle recovery.
Best Collagen Supplement For Vegans
Garden of Life Vegan Collagen Builder
Garden of Life Vegan Collagen Builder is a vegan, collagen supplement that includes a mix of organic superfoods, organic collagen to aid in promoting beautiful skin, as well as silica (organic bamboo extract).
Garden of Life Vegan Collagen Builder is high in polyphenolic pomegranate, whole food biotin, turmeric, and a range of other superfoods. This ensures that the supplement provides plenty of health benefits. It is also taken in tablet format and is USDA Certified, non-GMO, gluten free, vegan certified, kosher made (Star K), and 100% organic.
Collagen Supplements Buying Guide
Now that we have covered the best collagen supplements online in detail, let’s turn our attention to more general facts on collagen. Starting with the health benefits of collagen supplements, as well as side effects, types of collagen, and more.
Health Benefits of Collagen Supplements
There are some fantastic health benefits associated with adding collagen to your diet. And as we age, it’s important to supplement your bodies with collagen to ensure that you counteract the loss of collagen.
In fact, research suggests that we lose around 1% of collagen (equal to one unit area of the skin’s surface) every year that we get older. Which in turn has a direct impact on skin elasticity, teeth, hair and bone strength, and more.
By adding collagen supplements to your diet, you can access these fantastic health benefits:
- Healthy hair, skin and nails – studies have shown that by increasing collagen intake through supplements, there was a correlation with strong hair, skin and nails
- Bone density – research suggests that collagen supplementation can lead to strong and better bone health. In fact, collagen supplementation actually improves bone density
- Increased protein – protein is a vital building block in our body. And guess what? Collagen is actually a form of protein. By adding protein to your diet, you help support your muscles and vital organs
- Reduce joint pain – for those suffering with osteoporosis and osteoarthritis, collagen supplementation leads to a reduction in achey joints
- Beauty benefits – collagen supplementation can help to improve skin elasticity, and in turn increase the presence of keratin and elastin in the skin
Types of Collagen
When it comes to collagen supplementation, you will notice that different supplements will include different types of collagen. Here is a breakdown of the different types of collagen that exist. And in turn, how each type of collagen aids your health.
- Type 1 (Type I) – type 1 collagen has anti-aging benefits. It is shown to reduce fine lines, improve skin elasticity, skin hydration, strengthen muscles, and support bone health, joints, nails, and hair
- Type 2 (Type II) – type 2 collagen strengthens and fortifies cartilage (1). On top of this it helps to keep venerable joints like knees, elbows and hips flexible
- Type 3 (Type III) – type 3 collagen improves the structure of muscles, organs and blood vessels (2). It is also vital in supporting your gut health, cardiovascular system and digestive health.
- Type 4 (Type V) – type 4 collagen promotes healthy tissue quality. In turn, type 4 collagen improves skincare, hair and organ quality (3). And is inadvertently important in producing greater numbers of type 1 and 3 collagen in the body
- Type 5 (Type X) – type 5 collagen supports new healthy bone formation and optimal joint health. What’s more, type 5 collagen improves joint flexibility and aids the health of important cartilage in the body
Collagen Recommended Daily Intake
The recommended collagen daily intake is between 2.5g – 15g of collagen per day. This ensures that the level of collagen in your diet is safe and effective.
While many of the best collagen powders and supplements offer varied levels of collagen in their collagen products, it is recommended that you manage your collagen intake carefully to avoid intaking too much collagen on a daily basis.
Collagen Side Effects
Collagen supplementation is considered safe and it is not expected to cause any major side effects. While that is usually the case, if you notice the following side effects after sustained collagen supplementation then do speak to a medical practitioner (4).
Collagen side effects
- Heaviness in your stomach
- Rashes on your skin
- Mild diarrhoea
Best Collagen Supplements Conclusion
If you are looking for the top 10 collagen supplements on the market, then check out our detailed guide on the best collagen supplements.
Whenever you take collagen supplements, make sure you do so as part of a healthy, balanced diet. And ensure that you limit collagen intake to within the recommended dosage of 2.5g-15g per day (5).
Collagen is a fantastic dietary supplement that offers some brilliant beauty and health benefits, to find out more information on collagen visit the BigBlueTest.org homepage.
- Meyer M. Processing of collagen based biomaterials and the resulting materials properties. Biomed Eng Online. 2019 Mar 18;18(1):24. doi: 10.1186/s12938-019-0647-0. PMID: 30885217; PMCID: PMC6423854.
- Luo Y, Sinkeviciute D, He Y, Karsdal M, Henrotin Y, Mobasheri A, Önnerfjord P, Bay-Jensen A. The minor collagens in articular cartilage. Protein Cell. 2017 Aug;8(8):560-572. doi: 10.1007/s13238-017-0377-7. Epub 2017 Feb 17. PMID: 28213717; PMCID: PMC5546929.
- Ramshaw JA. Biomedical applications of collagens. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2016 May;104(4):665-75. doi: 10.1002/jbm.b.33541. Epub 2015 Oct 7. PMID: 26448097.
- Myllyharju J, Kivirikko KI. Collagens and collagen-related diseases. Ann Med. 2001 Feb;33(1):7-21. doi: 10.3109/07853890109002055. PMID: 11310942.
- Bolke L, Schlippe G, Gerß J, Voss W. A Collagen Supplement Improves Skin Hydration, Elasticity, Roughness, and Density: Results of a Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Blind Study. Nutrients. 2019 Oct 17;11(10):2494. doi: 10.3390/nu11102494. PMID: 31627309; PMCID: PMC6835901.