In the 1990s, HMB supplements first hit the shelves. And, they created a wave right off the bat. From muscle preservation, strength gain to fat loss, their role in fitness-related factors were backed by scientific literature after literature. Hence, they enjoyed a dream start. Fitness enthusiasts across the globe welcomed HMB supplements with open arms. Apparently, much of the later research, till date, also portrays HMB or Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbuteric acid as a fitness hero. As a result, HMB supplements continue to be an active part of the supplement family.
Before you run to the nearest supplement store to grab this health supplement to take your gains to the next level, we would like to warn you that not all HMB supplements are created equal. In this highly competitive market, a great deal of insight would be needed to identify the top products in this niche. Seriously, you could spend hours and hours and still not find a good HMB supplement worthy of your investment. To save you the trouble of extensive research involved in procuring a good HMB supplement, let’s show you the best options on the market right away.
7 Best HMB Supplement Brands & Reviews
1. BulkSupplements HMB Powder
If you are worried about losing your gains, you should take a shot at this HMB supplement without any hesitations. The BulkSupplements HMB Powder is substantially cheaper than other flashy brands of HMB supplements. At the same time, it delivers equivalent benefits as others—better recovery, strength gain, and improved performance in the gym. Of course, it preserves and pumps the muscles too. It’s a great option for those who prefer powders over pills. Everything said and done; it’s hard to beat the quality or price of this HMB powder.
- Unlike other brands, this HMB supplement has no fillers. So, you won’t be consuming anything that you don’t want to.
- This HMB supplement is third-party tested to validate the legitimacy of the claims made by the company.
- Most of the past users have reported that they got the results that they were hoping for.
- The product has received incredibly less complains than other HMB supplements from different brands.
- The powder doesn’t dissolve very well in cold water. That said, it dissolves in warm to hot water without any hiccups.
- The product comes in a zipper bag and not a container. Also, there’s no scoop, which appears to be a shocking omission for a brand of this standard.
2. Nutricost HMB Powder
If you have grown tired of the phony low-quality HMB supplements, do not miss out on the Nutricost HMB Powder. As advertised, this HMB powder will help you do intense workouts and then recover sooner than usual. Additionally, it will help you preserve and build muscle mass. Basically, the supplement will keep up to its promise. The best part is that you won’t have to consume a lot of it to see the desired results. Even small doses of this supplement will do the trick for you.
- There’s no bullshit in this HMB powder. The product is just as listed on the label with nothing extra.
- This is a vegetarian supplement. And, it’s made in the USA. Also, it’s third-party lab tested. Better still, it’s GMO and gluten-free.
- It doesn’t taste like meth, cocaine, or something along the same lines. Actually, it tastes pretty good. It smells fine too.
- The included scoop is buried deep inside the container. So, have fun trying to locate it.
3. Optimum Nutrition HMB
For muscle retention and growth, the Optimum Nutrition HMB should be your staple product. According to the company, this supplement will prevent your body from becoming catabolic, leading to muscle preservation. Furthermore, it will speed up the recovery process and inhibit fast loss. So, you could expect ‘steroids’ effects from this product, of course, without the side-effects. Besides protein and creatine, this scientifically-tested HMB could prove to be a solid addition to your supplement stack.
- -The company has included well-studied ingredients in this product. Each bottle contains a generous number of pills (90).
- -The Optimum Nutrition HMB mixes in a flash in any liquid. It doesn’t smell or tastes bad either.
- -You can truly count on this supplement for maintaining your muscle mass —past users have confirmed this thing.
- Just like other HMB supplements of this nature, this supplement may not show immediate benefits to everyone out there.
4. AMRAP Nutrition HMB
This is an awesome HMB supplement from an awesome company that can give its competition a hard time. Seriously, this supplement will literally pop in a lot of reviews on what kind of HMB capsules are the best. The company has used only the purest ingredients in correct proportions to help you reach your full fitness potential safely and naturally. The chances are that you will notice a remarkable difference in your gym performance in the form of more strength, more energy, and better recovery.
- Each pill delivers 3000mg of HMB for the preservation of existing muscles and for supporting new muscle growth. Both men and women can use it.
- Unlike other HMB supplements, the AMRAP Nutrition HMB can be used for a prolonged period of time without worrying about any side-effects.
- For those concerned about harmful substances would be pleased to know that this supplement has passed independent lab testing with flying colors.
- You won’t get the supplement for a paltry sum of money. These HMB capsules carry a high price tag.
5. NatureBell HMB
If you are looking for a natural and safe supplement to complement your workout, the NatureBell HMB can prove to be a wonderful option. This California-manufactured HMB supplement is sugar, soy, tree nuts, gluten, GMO, and dairy-free. It’s made up of naturally occurring substances to prevent muscle degradation. It supports new muscle growth too. Past users have also reported of lack of soreness after workouts. Everything considered; this HMB supplement can truly boost your workout progress.
- The NatureBell HMB supplement will arrive at your doorsteps in a nicely sealed container.
- Each serving contains a sufficient dose of HMB (1000 mg per serving). So, it will truly support the intended cause.
- Price comparison with other brands will tell you that this supplement is fairly priced.
- If you are taking this product with other supplements, it won’t be easy for you to isolate the benefits that you will derive from this supplement.
6. Double Wood HMB Supplement
If you are having a hard time maintaining your muscle mass when trying to lose weight, you should consider this fabulous HMB supplement. Seriously. it’s one of the best products in existence for preventing muscle loss when you are on a cutting phase. Almost halfway through the bottle, you will start to notice visible changes in your body. Better still, you will be working out with more focus and intensity like never before. Keep in mind that this HMB supplement has been tested for its purity and quality by vitagen labs in the USA.
- Each bottle contains 120 pills of 1000mg each. So, the dosage is pretty good. Not to mention that a single bottle will last for more than a month.
- The quality of the pills is also spot on. You won’t receive broken capsules or loose powder.
- There are no ill-effects linked to the use of this HMB supplement. And, it works. So, you will come back for more.
- The company suggests three pills a day. At different times of the day, you will have to keep reminding yourself to consume the pills.
- On its own, this product won’t give you the 3D looks or a lot of stares in the gym. You will also have to eat right and train hard.
7. HMB by VitaMonk™
To keep your muscles protected, the HMB by VitaMonk is worth a consideration. The ingredients in it help to preserve the muscles, even when you are working to lose weight. As a result, this supplement makes it possible to feel stronger and lose waist circumference at the same time. It’s side-effects free and USA-made too. Better yet, it’s suitable for both beginners and mature athletes out there. So, don’t hesitate to add this HMB supplement to your shopping cart and be a part of the VitaMonk community. You won’t regret it!
- Made from the highest quality natural ingredients, VitaMonk HMB is free from artificial junk and other harmful fillers.
- There’s a 100% money-back guarantee in place to take care of any financial risk involved in the deal.
- The sale price of VitaMonk HMB is also lower than other comparable HMB brands out there.
- The capsule size of VitaMonk HMB is a tad bit big. That said, it won’t get stuck in your throat.
HMB Supplements: How to Choose
People throw around a lot of advice on protein supplements, fat burners, creatine, and other popular health products consumed by the masses. But, not a lot is written about HMB supplements. So, you might not know if a particular HMB supplement is good for you or not. This expert guide will tell you how to pick the best HMB supplement from the currently available choices out there.
Check the Label
By rule, every HMB supplement must feature a Metabolic Technologies HMB logo. If not, it must carry the following disclaimer, “Nutritional uses of Calcium HMB Monohydrate are licensed to (brand name here) on the label under U.S. Patent #6, 103, 764”. Since trust is a matter of concern for us, you are advised to run away from products that miss out on the logo or the above mandatory disclaimer.
Check the Price
HMB is a different breed in itself. It’s nothing like your regular protein or creatine supplement. The point here is that it’s more difficult to make an HMB supplement as opposed to other supplements out there. So, don’t expect to grab an HMB supplement at a shoestring price. If the price is too low, it’s probably not high quality. So, steer away from generic brands that sell HMB at dirt cheap rates. Also, check the dosage. There’s no point in getting an under-dosed product at a very low price.
Check the Ingredients
Beyond the fact that the chosen HMB supplement should be made from pure and natural ingredients, it must carry a good dose of Leucine in it. For those who don’t know, Leucine has the most anabolic properties in it, which triggers the protein synthesis process like nothing else out there, increasing the probability of faster recovery and quick gains. To reduce any risk, also try to get a supplement that comes with a money-back guarantee. Only reputable brands that fully trust their products dare to offer a money-back guarantee on HMB supplements.
Benefits of HMB Supplement
Considered to be an anti-catabolic agent, it successfully minimizes the risk of muscle loss.
-It’s found to be particularly helpful when following a calorie-deficit diet, where the goal is to lose weight but not muscle mass.
-By helping you preserve muscles, it will also support you in the area of strength and size.
-It will improve recovery time between sets and in general. Your aching muscles won’t be sore for too long.
-Although not directly, but a good HMB supplement can also accelerate the fat loss process.
-Preliminary studies suggest that HMB supplements can help lower blood pressure.
-Effects of HMB supplement has been linked to cholesterol as well. In a study, it did lower bad cholesterol in some subjects.
-HMB supplements are mostly side-effects free. So, they can be taken by both trained and untrained people.
Side Effects of HMB Supplement
In several different studies, only positive effects were found from the use of HMB supplements. Also, the International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN) has given HMB a positive nod. In general, it’s found to be safe both for young and old population. Normal doses can be easily tolerated by most people. That said, if you have any pre-existing condition, you must speak to your doctor before taking this supplement.
Word of Advice
Gram for gram, HMB supplements don’t come cheap. So, if you are considering it, don’t go beyond the recommended dosage to the point of diminishing returns. In the world of HMB, more HMB doesn’t necessarily mean more returns. So, you won’t be getting more benefits from consuming more HMB.
How to take HMB Supplement?
HMB supplements are available in tablets and powder form. Pills are easy and convenient to take. The powdered HMB can be a bit bland. But, you can mix it with any liquid of your choice, including fruit juice to make it more palatable. So, it really depends on what you prefer. The good news is that HMB supplements can be consumed with or without a meal. So, you can try it on an empty stomach too.
When to take HMB Supplement?
The suggested dosage in most research papers is three grams a day. That said, you should not take more than one gram at a time (1000mg). You will get better results by spreading the servings evenly throughout the day. Depending on your age and training experience, you can divide the daily dosage into two or more servings by taking 500 to 1000mg at one shot. With regards to the timing, you can take one serving an hour prior to your workout. If there’s a place for a second dose, take it immediately after your workout. On off days, you can take HMB with your usual breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you stick to the recommended HMB dosage, you will witness a noticeable increase in strength and lean muscle tissue in 2-4 weeks.
If you want to unleash the ‘hulk’ inside of you to its full potential, don’t dodge this product. That said, an HMB supplement would benefit you the most when you are on a calorie-restricted diet. Keep in mind that HMB is not a ‘miracle’ worker. You need to eat right and train well if you want to keep all the muscle mass while being on a calorie deficit diet. So, don’t feel that you are doing something wrong by not adding HMB to your existing supplement stack. As it is, it won’t help if you are not pairing the supplement with hard workouts and a healthy diet.